Friday, June 27, 2008

A 'green' experience

A few days ago a movie making competition was announced. The topic was Environment friendly X. 'X' being my company where i work. The following is the script or call it the story on which the movie was made. Its a small one - tailored to fit into 7 mins of time. It isn't such a masterpiece (wrote a better one before this, read 'My angel has died'), but what is interesting here is the execution of the movie. The characters as you would come to know are not played by humans but rather depicted by fingers. Our entire 'studio' was a small whiteboard on which a white paper was put. Hands had been 'dressed' up in surgical gloves applied with paint - black, green and white. The best part was the use of mobile phones and small LED torches for lights. It was a good experience. And, yesterday i had my first encounter with the high tech gadgetry that is involved in movie making. I had been to a editing studio to dub my voice for the character 'green'. Today the second phase of editing will start where the audio and video clips would be spliced together. Let's hope something nice comes out of this. Here's the story:
...Ages ago, mighty forces created a place called Earth. The earth was ruled by Emperor Green. Verdant, pure and healthy; his glory was in the flight of birds, the rush of rivers and the smell of soil. The sylvan empire attracted many – some small, some big, some young, some old; and it became a home for all. All was peace until one dark day, King Black invaded with his forces and lay siege to the empire. A pitched battle followed where Green fought the Black with all his might but soon his powers started waning and he got bruised and hurt. Green was losing!
Green, panting, ‘Who are you and what do you want?’
‘Your time is up Green. I shall rule the Earth. This Earth shall be mine and so shall be your subjects’, said Black.
‘I won’t let that happen. My subjects shall never bow before you.’
‘I laugh at your innocence Green. It is your subjects who have called me. Look around. Your subjects have changed everything. They have cut your trees. They pollute the air. Your water is deadly. They are my slaves already!’
Watching the battle from a distance, X knitted its brows in concern. Something needs to be done. He joined forces with Green to fight the Black. Green surprised at this intrusion asked, ‘Who are you?’
‘My name is X.’
‘Why are you helping me?’
‘Don’t be afraid I am your friend.’
Black, ‘Hello! Who do we have here!? X! I think I have heard about you. Aren’t you the one who has stepped up the efforts to become Carbon neutral!?’
‘Yes I am the one. And it is not just about going Carbon neutral, we are a front-runner in implementing environmental-friendly practices’
‘I can’t believe I have a supporter here’, a surprised Green said.
X said, ‘Don’t be surprised my friend. I have stories to prove my loyalty to you.’
‘Once upon a time there was a SE called Tom. He had a curse on him that he shall waste electricity. He would not shut down the pc, keep the lights on and the fans running. And when it came to my notice, my green army went to him and made him aware of his doings. Today, at X people take care to save power.’
‘That was good of you. People don’t realize how much it hurts me when they waste power.’
‘And that’s not all. Tom had other things to learn too. He had picked up the bad habit of wasting paper. Unnecessary print outs and thoughtless use of writing paper was fun for him. We taught him about reusing paper and that wastage of paper means killing of trees.’
A frowning Black said, ‘Do you think that will be enough?’
‘We have at least made a start. Come to our campuses and you shall find that we even recycle waste water to be used in gardening and cleaning purposes. We have adopted the practice of rain harvesting too. Our buildings are energy efficient. We paint our buildings in pastel shades, to reflect heat. There are also skylights for the optimal use of sunlight.’
Black chuckled. ‘Plenty of stories! But of what use, eh X!? As long as people like Tom are there things shan’t change.’
‘Yes,’ inquired Green, ‘what happened of Tom? Did he change? Or did he go back to his old ways?’
X smiled. ‘You would be happy to know that Tom has gone green and these days he spreads the message of environment friendly practices.’
‘Damn!’ said Black. ‘But I won’t let you win.’
‘You are mistaken Black’, said Green now regaining strength, ‘As long as people like X are with me the game shall stay balanced.’
The game is balanced. Which side are you?

No comments: